.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

So many lawyers, so little time...

"The prospect of hanging focuses the mind wonderfully"--Samuel Johnson

My Photo
Name:
Location: Louisville, KY, United States

Gastroenterologist, cyclist, cellist, Christian, husband, father, grandfather.

Sunday, April 16, 2006

Questions

I have quite a few, actually.

Since I enjoy quality time with my daughters so much, why don't I schedule more of it?

Why is reading the Tao Te Ching relaxing and reading the Koran not? Why do I see the image of an angry Pharisee flash by whenever I read the Koran?

Since I don't see myself thriving in private practice, and as one malpractice suit would render me unemployed and unemployable, why don't I cut and run now?

Why has gastroenterology seemed more like a hobby to me for the past few years, in spite of the fact that I'm keeping up with things and that I'm pretty decent at it?

How can anyone in their right mind believe in the eternal existence of the human soul?

I know lots of Jewish folk that are better people than I. Is it fair for me to go to Heaven (assuming that it exists) and not them just because I'm a mediocre Christian?

Why do I keep trying to get mountain biking down in spite of the fact that I'm probably going to get really hurt doing it? After all, a broken finger is no biggie, but a trashed rotator cuff would be pretty darned inconvenient.

Why do I, when faced with these weighty issues, find myself wanting to blog about some mindless aspect of biking instead?

And why ask why?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suspect that, like many, you are becoming more and more of an Istentialist ...

Istentialist - n. someone who questions about, without needing a specific something about which to question; often a recovering Existentialist (qv) - which leads to Ex-Existentialist which logically gives rise to the term Istentialist ...

2:29 PM  
Blogger Andrew Bailey, M.D. said...

Could you be right?

3:32 PM  
Blogger SkiTheStars said...

How about trying windsurfing on old style gear that flosts even in light air ?

If you get winds above 18 knots and the board goes into hydroplaning mode it is really a rush. I snow ski as well, have for the 55 years, nothing broken but one near death encounter with a tree, managed to absorb blow with ribcage instead of brain or backbone.

enjoy !

Doug Keachie

12:38 AM  
Blogger Elliott said...

You don't really believe in an exclusive Christian heaven? The existence of G-d or the soul is questionable and is a nice little fiction I choose to believe (Pascal's bargain, Descartes, laziness, etc.), but the idea of a one true religion goes beyond my willingness to suspend disbelief.

As to the other questions, I wonder if the answers lie somewhere in the combination of 1) you're relatively well off. 2) you're older and more aware of your own mortality. 3) you're bored/tired.

Regardless of the blathering above, you SHOULD spend more time with your daughters if you enjoy it.

10:06 AM  
Blogger Andrew Bailey, M.D. said...

One person's pondering is another person's blather. I'll address that in a future post. Anyway, it really doesn't matter what I believe, does it? What matters is what is true. Perhaps you should be a bit more concerned about that concept. Not being nasty, but 'just sayin'.

3:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is true is that, most likely, in 200 years, we will all be dead ...

What matters is that, until it actually happens to each of us, we don't actually have to act as though it's going to happen in the next 2 minutes ...

7:36 PM  
Blogger Elliott said...

I was referring to my own blathering, so I'm not sure who is being nasty here.

I don't believe in bigotry and in my own arrogance, I believe in a truth that says to me that if there is a heaven then it's not a Christian-only affair.

11:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

DHMO.org